Savory Butternut Squash Soup
Savory butternut squash soup (no cream or milk added) is usaully served as a starter, or as a side dish with roasted chicken or turkey.
- 5 clove garlic minced
- 3 oz ground pork
- 1 lb butternut squash cut into bite size cubes
- ¼ tsp dry oregano or thyme
- 1.5 tsp salt or more to taste
- 5 c water
- ground black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped, as garnish
In a medium cooking pot, heat about 3tbsp of your choice of vegetable oil on medium high heat.
Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds. Than add minced pork and cook for a few minutes.
Add butternut squash cubes, oregano and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add water, then bring to boil then reduce the heat to simmer. Cook until butternut squash cubes are nearly tender, approximately 20 minutes. The pot can be partially covered at this step.
Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley if needed.
Served the soup immediately. Enjoy!
- Vegan butternut squash soup: replace the minced pork with a half chopped white onion.
- Savory pumpkin soup: replace butternut squash with the same amount of pumpkin.
- Chicken butternut squash soup: replace the minced pork with the same amount of ground chicken.