Today recipe is about Cajun Grilled Chicken Avocado Sandwich. This Cajun style sandwich is loaded with lots of goodness. Tender & delightful Cajun grilled chicken with melted cheese on top together with fresh avocado's slices are the best combo for a sandwich.
I had this recipe in my previous restaurant and it was a best seller back then. I called it Thunderbird burger. It was on so high demand that we ran out of freshly in-house-made burgers half way to dinner service. You can pair this Cajun grilled chicken with either burger or sandwich, or even hot dog. You'll have such an exceptional dish. So simple but yet so elegant in taste.
The sauce I used to cook this Cajun style sandwich is the one in this Semi-dried Squid recipe and this Garlic Cajun Boiling Seafood recipe. This sauce is super easy to make. You can make a big batch and keep it in an air tight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 months.
The recipe also calls for grated cheese. I used a block of Emmental cheese (Swiss cheese) and freshly grated it on the chicken meat. I would not recommend you to use pre-grated cheese because those cheese are processed cheese and their taste are off the hook. With block cheese, you just simply grate as you go and wrap the remaining in parchment paper. It will last for months in your fridge and tastes so much better than pre-grated version.
Here are the key ingredients that are using in this Cajun style sandwich recipe:
- Old Bay seasoning. Your Cajun grilled chicken won't complete without this. In fact, any Cajun style recipe that omits this particular ingredient is not really qualified for the amazing taste, in my opinion.
- Lemon Pepper seasoning. I use the one from McCormick.
- Paprika or smoked paprika.
- Cajun seasoning.
- Cayenne pepper.
As mentioned above this amazing Cajun grilled chicken avocado sandwich can also transform to a burger or a hot dog version. I happen to have such amazing No-knead ultimate dough recipe for any kind of buns you want. Of course,this dough was tested in commercial kitchen and I've produced thousands of burger buns based on this recipe. So you don't need to be skeptical at all, just go ahead and use the no-knead dough recipe at your own good.
Cajun Grilled Chicken Avocado Sandwich
- 4 pieces chicken thigh, skin on, boneless or chicken breast, boneless
- 4 piece sandwich
- butter unsalted as needed
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- Emmental cheese grated or
- Parmesan cheese grated
- vegetable oil as needed
For Cajun sauce:
- In a heavy bottom medium cooking pot or large cooking pan, melt unsalted butter over medium heat. When butter has melted completely, add the minced garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Be careful, DO NOT burn the garlic.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the melted butter, constantly stir for another 5-8 minutes. After that, turn off the heat. Remove the pot from heating source and let it cool down. Refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 2 months.
For grilled chicken:
- Pre heat oven to 400F.
- In a cooking pan, add enough oil for frying chicken thigh or breast.
- If using chicken thigh, fry skin side down first, for 3 minutes. Then turn it over and fry for another 2 minutes. If using chicken breast, fry each side for 1 minute.
- Transfer chicken to baking pan, lined with aluminum foil or using grilling rack if available. Brush both sides of chicken thigh/breast with Cajun sauce. And grill for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check if chicken is done cooking. If not, continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- When chicken is thoroughly cooked, take the pan out of the oven and immediately sprinkle grated Emmental or Parmesan cheese on top of it. With the continuing heat, the cheese should be melted right away.
For crusty sandwich:
- In a heavy bottom pan over medium heat, add a small piece of unsalted butter in (about a teaspoon size), let it melt slowly. Remember: DO NOT let the pan become hot. Add butter in from the beginning to prevent butter scorching.
- Add sandwich. Cook each side for 30 - 45 seconds. Depend on how thick your sandwich is. Sandwich should be crusty with golden brown color on both sides.
- Take the entire pan off the heat, remove the sandwich from the pan. Wait for 30 seconds for the pan to cool down before add another piece of butter in. Then return the pan to medium heat source. Add new sandwich and repeat these steps carefully.
- On a sandwich, add Cajun grilled chicken with melted cheese on top, freshly sliced avocado, tomato, and another sandwich on top. Enjoy with a side of French fries (or not)!