Spice up your brunch with this amazing crispy Cajun fried chicken and waffles. Easy to make and super delicious. You keep loving the flavor until the last piece.
Love and hate chicken breasts. If you’re looking for a way to transform the boring but healthy chicken breasts into such delicious meal. You’re in the right place. This crispy Cajun fried chicken and waffles recipe is your best solution.
In this recipe, chicken breast is protected by such crispy and flavorful outer layer. The result is chicken breast’s still able to keep its soft and tender texture after the frying process.
Together with easy homemade waffles, these two best friends will brighten your morning meal more than you think.
This is not the first time Cajun cooking makes it to my blog. If you haven’t known, I am crazy with Cajun cuisine and would want to eat it everyday if possible.
Cajun chicken salad is another recipe worth to try. Tender grilled chicken got mixed with white onion and fish sauce vinaigrette are what included in the recipe.
Of course in a chicken and waffles recipe we can not can’t have waffles. Nothing can beat this easy, light and tender interior, but crispy exterior homemade waffles recipe.
Sour cream – because of its thick and rich texture, sour cream makes a perfect protected outer layer chicken breast from overcooking.
Whipping cream – used to thin out the sour cream and to add more flavor to the fried chicken.
Old Bay seasoning – a not so secret ingredient to any Cajun cooking. Your Cajun fried chicken recipe won’t complete without this awesome seasoning.
Garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper – components of Cajun spice mix.
Panko – Japanese style bread crumbs which yield the most crispy and airy fried product.
Canola oil or peanut oil – used to fry breaded chicken breast.
Crispy Cajun Fried Chicken and Waffles
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 1 baking pan lined with parchment paper
- 1 baking pan lined with oil absorbed paper
- 4 chicken breasts skinless, boneless, cut on an angle into medium pieces
- 2 homemade waffles see NOTES
- 3 c Panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 5 oz sour cream
- 4 oz whipping cream
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 lime or lemon finely grated zest
- Maple syrup or honey
- unsalted butter
- fresh fruit
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all batter mix ingredients and mix everything together.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the batter mix to coat.
- Put panko in another large mixing bowl. Carefully pickup chicken pieces in the batter mix and transfer to panko bowl to coat the chicken. Remember to firmly press the panko onto chicken pieces.
- Transfer panko coated chicken onto baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- In a shallow cooking pot, fill half way with canola or peanut oil on high heat. Bring the oil temperature to 350F to 375F.
- Work in small batch, fry 5-6 pieces of chicken for 8 to 10 minutes then transfer fried chicken onto baking pan lined with oil absorbed paper.
- Continue until all the chicken pieces are done cooking.
- Serve immediately with homemade waffles, syrup or honey, unsalted butter and your choice of fresh fruit. Enjoy!