I always prefer flan over creme brulee despite the fact that they are technically the same. The reason is the hard sugar on top of brulee really catches me off guard, in a bad way. As for flan, I can eat this wonderful creamy dessert all day long if my liver allows me to. Every good thing comes with a bad side, don't you think? Besides this rich caramel flan recipe, I also have another one which includes only 3 ingredients [Related: 3-Ingredient Creamy Flan], it's super easy to make and has lighter texture compared to this super rich cream cheese flan.
I love flan too much that I like making flan with every single dairy option they have in the market. Half and half, whipping cream, condensed milk, and then cream cheese. Yeah, wait for it, I'm gonna upload all kinds of crazy flan recipes soon for your references (and for my insanity).
With this recipe, I incorporate both cream cheese and whole milk to create such rich and creamy texture for the flan. I also use baking method in the oven instead of steaming method, by this way, I am in total control over how the flan will turn out with even cooking temperature. So please trust me on this one, baking your flan in a water bath is way much better than the old school method. And if you ever wanted to make a big batch, let say 20 flans, then oven to the rescue. Because apparently there is no steamer than can fit that many flans in at one time, right?
Now, lets go to this Super Rich Caramel Cream Cheese Flan recipe, shall we?
Super Rich Caramel Cream Cheese Flan
- Hotel pan (full size)
- 8 4-oz ramekins
- Electric stand mixer
- 6 oz granulated sugar
- 2 oz water
Cream cheese flan
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 can condensed milk ~ 14 oz
- 14 oz whole milk
- In a small sauce pan, combine sugar and water to make caramel sauce. Set the heat of stove top to medium-high heat, simmer the mixture for 5-8 minutes. Keep an eye on the sauce pan, when caramel sauce turns bright brown, turn off the heat immediately and let it continue its carry-over cooking process. DO NOT STIR the liquid. Let the mixture cook by itself. Caramel sauce should have brown-ish color. Use a spoon to carefully ladle caramel sauce into ramekins. The sauce needs to cover ramekin’s bottom completely, you can add extra sauce if desired.
Cream cheese flan
- Pre heat oven to 325F
- Put cream cheese in a mixing bowl, beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Gradually add 1 egg at a time, scrape down the sides of mixing bowl if necessary. Continue mixing until eggs and cream cheese are incorporated.
- Slowly add condense milk, follow by whole milk. Continue mixing for another 2 minutes. Turn off mixer, strain and let the mixture rest for 30 minutes.
- Bring 1 quart of water to boil. Carefully pour egg and cream cheese mixture to each ramekin. Put these ramekins into a full size hotel pan. Slowly add boiling water to the pan. Make sure the water level is half of the ramekins' height.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Carefully touch the top of flans, it is done if the top shrinks back. Make sure ramekins are cool enough to remove out of hot water bath. Refrigerate and let the flans set for 3-4 hours then enjoy!