This salad is your best friend from now on. What can be better than super food avocado slices, fresh yummy tuna, and flavorful dressing? You can make the dressing ahead of time and store in air-tight container for up to a month. Also, I would recommend you grate ginger and garlic by Japanese shark-skin grater because you’ll have a finer and smoother grated ginger & garlic. However, if none is available, regular grater works just fine.
Seared Tuna & Avocado Salad with Creamy Ginger Dressing
This recipe is called for only 1 serving. Just fyi: the dressing has a orange-ish color and gingery flavor.
- 7 oz tuna whole block, uncut
- 3 tbsp black sesame seed
- 3 tbsp white sesame seed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 sheet nori optional
- Mixed spring as needed
- 1 medium avocado halved
Creamy Ginger Dressing
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce prefer Kikkoman
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 2/3 c mayonnaise
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix black sesame seed, white sesame seed, and salt. Then coat all sides of tuna evenly with the mixture.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a medium skillet, sear all sides of sesame coated tuna, 1 minute for each side if you want to eat medium rare tuna. Leave it longer on the skillet if you want cooked tuna.
- For the dressing: mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Carefully slice the tuna block into 4-5 pieces. Slice the avocado lengthwise. Mix salad with dressing. Then arrange avocado and sesame coated tuna nicely on top with shredded nori.
- Any left over dressing can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, up to 2 weeks.