What can be better than a composed salad includes the best superfood - avocado, the finest fish - tuna, and the most creamiest Asian style ginger dressing?
There is no doubt that avocado is everybody's favorite fruit now. You can do a lot of things with just a single avocado. Turn it into a delicious smoothie, an addicted dipping called guacamole, or better yet paired it with tuna to make the most amazing tuna avocado salad.
This salad was one of the best sellers on our menu. So I can't wait to share it to the world so everybody can have a piece of goodness themselves.
What's make this tuna avocado salad special?
This composed salad is made of many amazing ingredients which make it really stand out. Those ingredients include:
Superfood avocado - avocado is famously known for the amount nutrients and antioxidants contain in such a small fruit. Omega 3, magnesium, potassium to name a few. There are also 21 good reasons why avocado is superfood.
Ahi tuna (yellowfin tuna) - the finest and most desirable piece of fish out there. Together with bluefin tuna, ahi tuna is usually used for sashimi and sushi. Because of that, both of these tuna varieties, especially bluefin one, are becoming very scarce due to over fishing.
Asian style ginger dressing - the most creamiest and tastiest salad dressing you've ever tried I promised. Though it is made of simple and easy to find ingredients, the approach used to make the dressing is which makes it so special.
- Ginger and garlic are grated using Japanese style shark skin grater in spite of regular aluminum grater. This grater is widely used in many Japanese restaurants.
- The grater helps to break down the dense texture of ginger and garlic completely by eliminating the appearances of rhizome.
- I have used this amazing grater in some of my recipes (here and here) to obtain such finest texture from ginger and garlic.
Why this salad is called composed salad?
This tuna avocado salad belongs to one of two types of a green salad: composed salad. A composed salad is prepare by arranging each of the ingredients on the plate in an ideal fashion.
The other type of green salad is tossed salad. A tossed salad can be found in many fast food restaurants. It is prepared by placing the salads, garnishes, and dressing in a large mixing bowl and tossing to combine everything.
Other types of salad include bound salad, vegetable salad and fruit salad.
- Vegetable and fruit salads are easy to identify by their main ingredients.
- A bound salad is included cooked meats, poultry, pasta or even potatoes mixed/bound with a dressing.
Tuna Avocado Salad With Asian Style Ginger Dressing
- 7 oz tuna steak prefer sushi grade
- 3 tbsp black sesame seed
- 3 tbsp white sesame seed
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 sheet nori cut into small pieces, optional
- spring mix salad as needed
- 1 medium avocado halved
Creamy Ginger Dressing
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce prefer Kikkoman
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- ⅔ c mayonnaise
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix black sesame seed, white sesame seed, and salt. Then coat all sides of tuna evenly with the mixture.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a medium skillet, sear all sides of sesame coated tuna, approximately 30 seconds for each side if you want to eat rare to medium rare tuna. Leave it longer on the skillet if you want fully cooked tuna.
- For the dressing: whisk all ingredients in a mixing bowl to combine everything. The dressing can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, up to 7 days.
- Carefully slice the tuna block into 4-5 pieces. Slice the avocado lengthwise into slices.
- Assemble: put a desired amount of spring mix on a cold plate, then arrange the tuna and avocado artistically on a bed of salad. Garnish with nori. Be creative with presentation.
- When you're ready to eat, drizzle the dressing over the salad with an appropriate amount. Enjoy!