This crispy popcorn shrimp is the best popcorn shrimp. It's a perfect snack for the upcoming Father's day. Chances are you've already planned a grilling-all-day celebration for your father, right? Well, then you definitely need some snacks to go along with those delicious grilling meats and cold beers. That's why this drunken popcorn shrimp recipe should be on your list.
I call it drunken recipe because the shrimps are coated with beer batter and served with alcohol base mayonnaise. Yup, nothing sounds better than this double trouble one of a kind shrimp popcorn. We all need a little bit of alcohol here and there now, due to what's happening with the world now. Don't you think so? Because I know I do.
For popcorn shrimp reaches its crunchiness, I recommend to make beer batter instead of regular water or dairy batter. Because beer contains alcohol and alcohol surely evaporates faster than water. So it requires less time to cook than water base batter, even better we can avoid overcooking those delicious shrimps.
- Mixing bowl
- 1 c AP flour
- ½ c cornstarch
- 1.5 c cold beer
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until everything combined. Let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes before starting cooking.
- Left over better can be put in air tight container and kept for up to 2 days in a fridge.
As for the mayonnaise, the recipe calls for two different kind of liquor (hello, it's Father's day, your dad deserves it): Cointreau and cognac. If you didn't know, Cointreau is an orange flavor liquor that is frequently used in desserts. So using Cointreau in this mayonnaise dipping will bring out that 'secret' flavor that everybody will be wow about.
If you don't have Cointreau on hands, according to Foodsguy, you can substitute it for Grand Marnier or orange extract (for non-alcoholic usage). And brandy or peach juice can be used in replacement for cognac.
Mayonnaise dipping sauce
- 2 oz ketchup
- 3 oz mayonnaise
- 0.2 oz Cointreau or Grand Marnier or orange extract (see note above)
- 0.2 oz cognac or brandy or peach juice (see note above)
- 0.2 oz Tabasco
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together. Refrigerate left over for up to a week (if any).
And in case you need more snack/appetizer options for this special day, I have this wonderful seafood ceviche recipe and this tangy salmon sashimi recipe. You know, they can help you escape the heat of this can-not-be-hotter summer.
The Best Popcorn Shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp peeled
- 1 bag popcorn proceed as labeled
- 1 tbsp Cajun powder
- beer batter as needed, recipe above
- mayonnaise dipping as needed, recipe above
- In a shallow pan or cooking pot, fill it halfway with vegetable oil and bring the heat to your highest setting. Use a dash of flour to check whether the oil is ready for frying.
- Dip raw, peeled shrimp in beer batter then carefully put it into hot oil and fry until it turn golden brown (around 3 minutes).
- Continue frying until all the shrimps are done.
- In a mixing bowl, put fried shrimps and popcorn together. Sprinkle Cajun powder on top beer batter fried shrimps & popcorn. Then give it 2-3 shakes.
- Served with lime wedges and mayonnaise dipping sauce. Enjoy!