This duck is very juicy, soft, moist and loaded with flavor. The skin of the duck in this version is not supposed to be crispy, just to clarify. Make sure you gonna be very patient in order to have a wonderful roasted duck as a result.
Roasted Duck Modified Version
I'm using convectional oven for this roasted process so if you use regular oven please adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Roasting pan
- Cooking twine or bamboo skewers
- 3 tbsp black peppercorn or 1 tbsp Szechuan pepper
- 3 tbsp five spice powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 pieces mandarin or orange peel
- 6 pieces star anise
- 3 stalks onion green white part
- Make sure clear out the duck’s cavity before stuffing with 2/3 marinade mixture.
- Enclose the cavity with thick thread or a bamboo/stainless skewer.
- Rub the left over marinade mixture all over the outside of the duck.
- Let it marinade for at least 2 hours, maximum 6 hours in a chiller, breast side up.
Rinsing & Boiling Process
- Rinse the whole duck (cavity still closed, do not cut the thread) under cold tap water. Mean while, in a medium cook pot bring water to boil.
- Secure the duck with a hook or use anything that you can actually carry the duck in one hand while ladle the hot water all over the duck. Make sure cover all parts of the duck with hot boiling mixture.
- Hang or place the duck breast side up in a chiller, uncover. Let it sit for at least 24 hours, maximum 48 hours.
- Preheat oven 380F/195C.
- Put the duck on roasting rack, breast side up. And roast for 20 minutes.
- Turn on the heat down to 300F/150C .
- Continue roasting the duck for 30 minutes. You can check whether it's done cooking by using a knife and carefully cut into a thigh part, if there's no blood coming out, it means the duck is done. If not, feel free to add another 6 minutes before checking again.
- Let the duck cool down at room temperature for 15 minutes before carving/cutting into pieces. Enjoy!