This is based on the traditional dessert in Vietnam that can also be found in “street food“ category. The original version has three main different colors: red and white from beans, green from pandan jelly. Also includes white color from coconut milk and yellow from mung bean. So in total, it has 5 colors but its name only reflects 3. It’s still a mystery to me until now.
Assorted Beans in Sweet Coconut Milk
- 6 oz mung beans peeled
- 10 oz black beans
- 10 oz white kidney beans
- 10 oz red beans
- 14 oz coconut milk
- sugar as needed
- water as needed
- If using uncooked beans, soak white and black beans over night.
- Prepare peeled mung beans: In a medium pot, bring 1 quart of water to boil. Add peeled mung beans in and let the mixture simmer (on medium high heat) for 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of sugar, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Drain and put cooked beans into a blender, blend until beans have very smooth texture.
- For uncooked black and white beans: Discard water that used soak beans overnight. In a medium pot, bring 1 quart of water to boil. Add black beans in and simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and simmer for another 10 minutes. Drain and set aside black beans. Repeat the process for uncooked red and white beans.
- For cooked beans: Bring 2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of sugar to boil. Turn off the heat, submerge cooked blacked beans completely in liquid for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside black beans. Repeat the process for cooked red and white beans.
- For coconut milk: In a medium sauce pan, heat coconut milk, add 1/4 cup of sugar, simmer for 10 minutes. Stir constantly. Set aside.
- Put all the beans in 4 different layers, orders do not matter. Top with coconut milk and crushed ice. Enjoy!