This weekend is quite a busy one for me. I just got my second cat, Rain, fixed on Friday; now he’s in somewhat of pain and slowly recovering and that makes me extremely nervous and worry at the same time. It means I will spend this entire weekend in door to keep an eye on my precious the Great. Or in other words, keep an eye on the Lord so he could not disturb or play violently toward Rain. I really hope Rain will recover and get on his normal routine soon because I really could not stay at home 24/7 when the weekend is over. Come on Rain, you’re a big boy (ok, not literally, but deep down inside, you’re a grown up man), you can do it, get well soon. The longer you stay in pain, the longer I’m suffering too *insert sad face*.
Because of this, I can’t spend too much time on cooking but I still want to make something that is enjoyable and quick but also has a hint of sophistication. Just so you know, I’m not a big fan of doing too much complicated work on the weekend, including cooking. So if I must or feel like cooking, I choose something that is as simple as this coconut taro steamed layer cake. All it took me was 45 minutes to cook from a to z with minimal time of prepping.
This steamed layer cake is made mainly from tapioca starch with add-on flavors: coconut and taro. You spend most of your real cooking time by ladling each flavor mixture alternatively every five minutes until all the liquid is out or you are happy with the amount of layers you have. It’s a super easy job, I’m telling you. Set the timer, then sit back, relax and watch your favorite Netflix movie. By the time you finish watching, you’ll have such a delicious, delicate and beautiful dessert. The only ‘hard working’ step in this process is boiling taro and lightly smash it into paste form before putting into the blender. If you want to skip the smashing step (like I did), then just let the blender do all the dirty work.
My favorite part about eating this layered cake is peeling each layer and eat them separately. Weird, I know, I spent quite some times to made sure each layer had the same amount of liquid and stick together perfectly. Then I tear them apart within a blink of an eye while eating.
This is a perfect choice for a light dessert or a beautiful cake for baby/bridal shower (take a break from cupcakes guys, seriously, I mean it). Also it’s even tastier if complimented by a cup of milk or hot tea.
Coconut Taro Steamed Layer Cake
- Baking pan
- 5 oz tapioca starch
- 8 oz coconut milk
- 2 oz water
- 3 oz sugar
- 5 oz tapioca starch
- 4 oz coconut milk
- 4 oz water
- 8 oz taro cut into small cubes
- 3 oz sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix all ingredients well. Set aside.
- boil taro cubes until they are soft enough to smash into paste. Put taro and water in a blender, blend well. In a mixing bowl, incorporate taro mixture with the rest of ingredients. Mix well. Add 1 drop of food color (purple) if desired. Set aside.
Combined two layers
- Prepare a steamer. Spray 1 thin layer of oil on your choice of baking mold. When the steamer is ready. Ladle about 2-3 oz of coconut mixture into oiled mold, put in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes. Then ladle 2-3 oz of taro mixture and steam for another 5 minutes. Repeat these steps until all the last layer is filled, then steam a whole cake for extra 20 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely (2 hours) before un-mold and cut into pieces. Serve best at room temperature. Enjoy!