Sriracha char siu chicken is the easiest dinner recipe to make, especially for beginners. This recipe has all-in-one addicted characteristics: crazy delicious, lips smacking, and undeniably easy to cook. Together with a hint of spicy sriracha and sweet char siu sauce, you probably never stop munching on these yummy chicken.
I've been trying to steer clear of red meat lately. That makes chicken is my best friend now.
There will always be at least a pack of chicken thighs in my freezer because it's a good substitution for red meat.
You can find multiple delicious chicken recipes on my blog besides this sriracha grilled chicken with char siu sauce.
How to make this easiest dinner recipe?
Time needed: 2 hours and 35 minutes.
It's a very standard, straight forward process. No rocket science theory or advanced cooking skills required behind the scene.
- Marinade chicken
In a mixing bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, char siu sauce, Sriracha, pineapple juice, dark soy sauce, and salt. Add chicken thighs to marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Bake Sriracha char siu chicken
Arrange chicken thighs on a lined baking sheet pan with aluminum foil, skin side up. Cook for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs skin side down and cook for 10 minutes. Then flip chicken again, back to skin side up, and cook until the skins are evenly browned (with a little bit of charred color on top), approximately 5 minutes.
Essential ingredients used in this Sriracha char siu chicken
As the name implies, you definitely need 2 essential ingredients: Sriracha and char siu sauce and some others generic ones to make this recipe.
- Sriracha - I usually go for the biggest bottle, 28 oz, and I used it up within 2 months.
- Char siu sauce - Lee Kum Kee brand char siu has never been disappointed me.
- Pineapple juice - to tone down the sweetness in char siu sauce, I used pineapple juice. Some people might prefer lime or lemon juice but I think pineapple juice brings more balance taste to the table. It is not too sour to play with; so you will never afraid it will over power the other two essential ingredients.
- Dark soy - dark soy sauce helps to bring out the amazing caramelized color for the grilled chicken.
What to serve Sriracha chicken with?
This spicy char siu chicken is best to served with steamed white rice.
Looking for a quick and easy fried rice recipe? I got you covered with this under 45 minutes fried rice recipe.
Definitely. These chickens can be marinated store under refrigeration a day before.
Sriracha char siu chicken can be kept in the chiller for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
The marinating mixture, especially the one used to marinade chicken, must be discarded and not reuse to avoid cross contamination and foodborne illness.
If you want to served these char siu style chicken with sauce, just combine all marinating ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat to reduce the mixture by half.
Please do yourself a favor by using heavy-duty aluminum foil when it come to line any type of cooking pan. It is a huge difference between the regular ones and heavy-duty ones. Those are not easy to break so the food will never stick to the pan. Also make your life easier when it comes to cleaning.
Sriracha Char Siu Chicken
- 8 medium chicken thighs pat dry, skin on
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 4 tbsp char siu sauce prefer: Lee Kum Kee brand
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- ½ tbsp dark soy
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, char siu sauce, Sriracha, pineapple juice, dark soy sauce, and salt. Add chicken thighs to marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 1 day.
- Pre heat oven to 375F
- Line rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Remove chicken thighs from marinade and arrange chicken skin side up. Discard marinade mixture.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs skin side down and cook for 10 minutes. Then flip chicken again, back to skin side up, and cook until the skins are evenly browned (with a little bit of charred color on top), approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer cooked chicken thighs to serving platter, garnish with cilantro or green onion and serve hot immediately.