The easiest dinner meal you could ever crave for. This recipe has all-in-one addicted characteristics: crazy delicious, lips smacking, and undeniably fast to cook. Together with a hint of spicy sriracha and sweet char siu sauce, you probably never stop munching on these yummy chicken.
I’ve been trying to steer clear of red meat lately. That makes chicken is my best friend now. There will always be at least a pack of chicken thighs in my freezer. Chicken has been considered as the most healthiest meat on the meat scale. Moreover, it’s also a good substitution for red meat. You can find multiple delicious chicken recipes on my blog besides this sriracha grilled chicken with char siu sauce. This salt and pepper chicken nuggets and this Hong Kong style Soya sauce chicken are always on the top of my popular chicken dish. If you are on a gluten free diet, I also have this GF fried crispy chicken wings available.
How to make this grilled chicken?
It’s a very standard, straight forward process. No rocket science theory or advanced cooking skills required behind the scene. All you need to do is gather all the ingredients, mix well, and let them marinade for few hours or up to 2 days. I recommend to marinade for at least 6 hours so the chicken has enough time to fully develop its flavor.
What ingredients do I need to make this?
As the name implies, you definitely need 2 essential ingredients: Sriracha and char siu sauce and some others generic ones to make this recipe.
- Sriracha – I usually go for the biggest bottle, 28 oz, and I used it up within 2 months.
- Char siu sauce – Lee Kum Kee brand char siu has never been disappointed me.
- Garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pineapple juice – to tone down the sweetness in char siu sauce, I used pineapple juice. Some people might prefer lime or lemon juice but I think pineapple juice brings more balance taste to the table. It is not too sour to play with; so you will never afraid it will over power the other two essential ingredients.
- Dark soy – to bring out the amazing caramelized color for the grilled chicken.
Sriracha Char Siu Chicken
- 8 medium chicken thighs pat dry, skin on
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 4 tbsp char siu sauce prefer: Lee Kum Kee brand
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine all marinating ingredients and mix well. When everything is incorporated, add chicken thighs in, coat them evenly with the mixture. Then let the marinade for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days in the fridge.
- Pre heat oven to 375F
- Arrange chicken thighs on lined grilling pan with aluminum foil, skin side up. Grill for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, flip the chicken thighs skin side down and grill for another 5-7 minutes.
- The chicken thighs should be done by now. Served immediately. If there is any juice left on the grilling pan, pour it on the thighs for extra juicy. Served with steamed rice, by itself, or your choice of any starch/vegetables.