This sriracha egg fried rice is so tasty and super easy to make. It is a no-fuss meal and can be modified with whatever you like. It is also a good pick for a lacto-ovo-vegetarian or an ovo-vegetarian—such a perfect get-away from a traditional vegetable fried rice.
Best egg fried rice
This amazing recipe is versatile, and you can easily add in different fresh or frozen veggies - sweet corn, bell pepper, broccoli. Or even protein (if you're not on a special diet) such as chicken, beef, or pork slices. Just mix and match according to your preferences.
There are plenty of egg fried rice recipes online, and I'm sure they are all excellent and unique. But this recipe is a little different and unique in its way. I like it because you don't need to add the egg directly into the rice, which can cause the rice to become soggy if not careful.
And if you ever had any left-over cooked rice, you must not waste it. Instead, transform those left-over into such delicious dishes the following day using this fantastic egg fried rice recipe. If you're looking for a meaty option, this spam and pineapple fried rice is another excellent way to cook leftover rice.
One of the most convenient ways of this tasty egg fried rice is it can be served by itself. However, suppose you like side dishes to eat with. In that case, these recipes are perfect choices: general Tso's chicken, sesame tofu (vegan), miso eggplant (vegan), marry me chicken, parmesan crusted chicken, braised spare ribs, and salt and pepper shrimps.
This fried rice is made with a combination of soy sauce and Sriracha. Sriracha is a spicy sauce proudly made in the USA; better yet, it is Kosher certified, vegan, and gluten-free.
Sriracha makes a perfect sipping sauce itself. More often, most Asians love eating their pho, chicken nuggets, wings, or even burger with a little bit of Sriracha on the side.
Want more Sriracha recipes? How about this delicious Sriracha char-siu chicken. You'll love it. It also makes a perfect side dish to this tasty egg fried rice.
Variations of vegetarian diet
As aforementioned, this is a Lacto-Ovo or ovo vegetarian-friendly recipe. If you've ever wondered what those are, hang on, I'll explain more below.
How many types of vegetarianism are there? Well, quite a few, I must say. A person who follows a vegetarian diet can be any of the following:
- Vegan - A vegan eats no meat, fish, poultry, or any animal by-product like milk, cheese, egg, honey, and gelatin.
- Raw foodist (living foodist) - This is the strictest diet out of all the diets. It is a vegan who only eats raw, unprocessed plant products. Weird. You can read more about this diet benefit here.
- Fruitarian - A person who eats only fruits, nuts, seeds, and other plant products if they are not harming the plants. Some people on this diet only eat plant matter that has already fallen off the plant. But don't get too crazy with this diet; it may get you hospitalized with a pancreatic problem.
- Ovo-vegetarian - A vegetarian who eats eggs but not dairy products.
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarian - An interchangeable term with vegetarian. A person who ears plant products as well as dairy products and eggs. This diet is one of the most famous vegetarian diets.
- Lacto-vegetarian - A vegetarian who eats dairy products but not eggs.
More about this sriracha egg fried rice
- Flavor: This fried rice is made with regular soy sauce and sweet soy sauce, and a hint of Sriracha to satisfy both your spicy and sweet cravings. Of course, it's not crazily spicy; you can adjust the amount of Sriracha accordingly.
- Texture: The rice is not soggy but also not so dry. It'll be a little bit wet compared to regular cooked rice.
- No waste: Never throw away your left-over rice anymore. Use this recipe to turn those left-over into a fantastic meal.
- Convenient: Because this recipe is easy to make, you can make it anytime.
- Make ahead: This recipe can be made ahead of time. Then you can put the fried rice in the chiller; whenever you're ready to eat, just put it into a microwave for 5 minutes.
- Sriracha and egg. Buy a big bottle of 28 oz of Sriracha; then, you should be good for at least two months.
- Ketchup - to give this recipe a boost of flavor and color.
- Sweet soy sauce - my secret ingredient to make everything taste better (and look better). I've been using sweet soy sauce from ABC brand for years, and nothing else can top this excellent ingredient.
- Light soy - to balance out the sweetness and saltiness.
Tips for making good fried rice
- Use at least a day-old rice: you can cook a fresh batch of rice, put it in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or repurpose left-over cooked rice from a day before.
- Use long grain rice: long grain rice is more fried-rice friendly than its short grain version.
- Buy a good cooking pan: it's better to fry rice in a wok. Their round bottoms and curved sides diffuse heat and make it easy to toss or stir contents. The wok is your best friend in the stir fry cooking method. I have both version cast iron wok and hard anodized non-stick wok at home.
- Make sure the pan is smoking hot: hot pan and hot oil will prevent the rice from sticking to the pan. Also, it helps fried rice not become soggy after all.
Did you make this recipe? If so please leave a rating and let me know how it went in the comment section. Also, don't forget to tag me #cookmorphosis @cookmorphosis on social media.
Tasty Egg Fried Rice With Sriracha Soy Sauce
- A wok or non-stick sauteed pan
- 5 c cooked rice 1 day old
- 2 medium eggs
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot cut into small cubes
- 3 sprigs green onion chopped, for garnish
- vegetable oil as needed
- 1.2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ket chup
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 5 tbsp water
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and mix well. Set aside.1.2 tbsp sweet soy sauce, 2 tbsp ket chup, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sriracha, 5 tbsp water
- In another small mixing bowl, break 2 eggs, add a dash of salt, mix well. Set aside.2 medium eggs
- Fill 3 cups of water in a wok, bring to boil then add cubes of carrot and blanch for few minutes. Take them out, set aside. Discard water and use paper towel to dry the inside of the wok.1 medium carrot
- Add couple of tbsp of vegetable oil into a wok. Work in small batch, pour about ¼ c of beaten into the work to fry. Then cut fried egg into long strip. Set aside.
- Add 4-5 tbsp of vegetable oil into a wok. Wait until the wok hot enough and the oil just started to have little smoke. Add garlic and stir fry for couple of minutes. Then add cooked rice in (you can work in small batch if you want).5 c cooked rice, 5 cloves garlic, vegetable oil
- Stir and give the wok a few shakes, continue cooking the rice on high heat for 5 minutes. Then add the sriracha sauce mixture just enough to coat the rice completely.
- Add blanched carrot. Taste. If it needs more saltiness, add more sauce. If not, give it a few more shake, then turn off the heat
- On a plate, scoop out fried rice, topped with long strips of fried egg and green onion. Enjoy!3 sprigs green onion
I was going to try this recipe but I was perplexed by the cooking time. It says 30 minutes but it took me twenty four hours and thirty minutes to account for the day old rice...please update the preparation time to reflect this as I was not prepared.
Thank you for your input. I'm sorry for the misinformation. I've updated the recipe card per your recommendation. Thanks again for stopping by.